Weekend Planner, August 16th-18th, 2013
We here at munichNOW love a good museum as much as the next person. But with temperatures this weekend around 28°C (85°F), we certainly will be taking advantage of this weekend’s weather. Here’s a quick list of things you can do to maximize your time in the sun:
Festivals and others:
- ‘impark 2013’ at Olympiapark (live music after 7 pm, food, shopping, rides, etc., cinema on the lake after dark). Also at Olympiapark is Lilalu, a fun park for kids with trampolines, circus acts, etc.
- Dachauer Volksfest (20 minutes from Munich to Dachau by train and then a short walk from the train station, cheapest beer of nearly any festival, rides for children, plenty of lederhosen and dirndl, pure Bavarian spoken here)
- Surf and Style at Munich’s airport. See here.
- A large flea market takes place at the corner of Westendstr. and Zschokkestr. Fri. and Sat. starting at 7 am.
- Any of the SWM swimming pools around Munich, though we especially like Schyrenbad and Naturbad Maria Einsiedel (the water is from the local Isar river).
If you want to beat the heat, we suggest these three exhibitions this weekend beyond the usual fare.
- Salvador Dali Exhibition, for more info click here.
- Klee, Monet, Gauguin and others at the Neue Pinakotek.
- ‘The New View of Munich’ at the Architekturgalerie Muenchen, a photo exhibition.
All of the beer gardens will be geared up for big crowds, and they will come, so find a place before sundown. Don’t forget the S-Bahn disruptions from Friday evening at around 10 pm to Monday morning around 5 am.
Whatever you decide to do, we here at munichNOW hope you have a great summer weekend!